The haunting sound of the bagpipes, the skill of the star flourish, the rat-a-tat-tat of the drums – this is by all accounts a showpiece of Scottish Heritage in music. The only musical instrument to be banned as a weapon of war, the bagpipes are something else. The Pipe Band arena is kindly sponsored by Prime Smoke Salmon, a great Hororata business that is 100% New Zealand owned.
Why put the Hororata Highland Games on your band’s calendar?
- A great early season competition opportunity
- Opportunity to play before large and receptive spectator crowds
- A social function for catching up after the event
- Non-competitive bands are welcome on the day, please email email@example.com to discuss options
All competitions are played in the Prime Smoke Pipe Band arena. Bands can enter in more than one:
1) Full Band set competition–MSR and Medley –Grades 1–4 and Juvenile
- Sets will comprise a 2/4 march, strathspey and reel played in that order, and introduced by two three, or one five, beat roll.
- (a) For Grades 1 and 2 each tune must be of at least four parts.
- (b) For Grades 3, 4A & 4B each tune must be a minimum of two parts in March, Strathspey and Reel.
Note: There will be no penalty for not reaching the minimum number of pipers for Medley’s.
The Band of the Day will be judged by an independent panel on the following criteria:
- Choice of music
- Sound ensemble
This can be awarded to any grade band. The Band of the Day will win a $100.00 Prime Smoke Salmon Voucher.
- The Band competitions will follow the solos approximately 10.45am, starting with the Juvenile (this may change depending on entries).
Draw for Order of Play:
- The Draw for ALL GRADES will take place in the weeks prior to the competition
- All Bands will be advised of draw and performance start time before event day
- All bands are asked to take part in a Winners March after the March Past.
- All Bands and Drum Majors are expected to take part in the March Past (weather permitting).
- Only those Bands that take part in the March Past will be eligible for the competition prize money.
- Bands will be asked to play Highland Laddie for Salute to the Chieftain, where possible.
- Drum Majors will report to Officials Office by 10.30am.
- All band members will be issued wristbands as tickets, these must be worn to gain admittance. There will be a competitor entry gate open from 8.00am–11.00am which is closer to the competition area. Supporters accessing this gate must have a ticket as there will be no ticket sales at this entry point.
2017 Competition Format:
- Full Band
2017 Entry Fees:
- Grade 1 – 4 $150.00
- Juvenile $50.00
|Prizes||Full Band Set||Juvenile||Band of the Day|
|1st||$200 per grade||Certificate||Hororata Highland Games Trophy $100 Prime Smoke Voucher|
To enter complete the online entry form, one form per competitor. Please where possible make payment by internet banking (see account details on form). All competitors will be issued tickets and you will need these to enter the event. Your supporters will need to purchase their tickets either prior to the event or on the day.
Order of events will be emailed to competitors following the closing date and published on this website. Follow us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all entry information.
Entries open September 2018
Remember to get your discounted supporters tickets!
Your supporters can purchase tickets online or at the Selwyn Libraries or Hororata Motors at a discounted rate.