The haunting sound of the bagpipes, the skill of the star flourish, the rat-a-tat-tat of the drums – this is by all accounts a showpiece of Scottish Heritage in music. The only musical instrument to be banned as a weapon of war, the bagpipes are something else.
Why put the Hororata Highland Games on your band’s calendar?
- A great early season competition opportunity
- Opportunity to play before large and receptive spectator crowds
- A social function for catching up after the event
- Non-competitive bands are welcome on the day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options
All competitions are played in the Pipe Band arena.
Full Band set competition–MSR and Medley –Grades 1–4 and Juvenile
- Sets will comprise a 2/4 march, strathspey and reel played in that order, and introduced by two three, or one five, beat roll.
- (a) For Grades 1 and 2 each tune must be of at least four parts.
- (b) For Grades 3, 4A & 4B each tune must be a minimum of two parts in March, Strathspey and Reel.
Note: There will be no penalty for not reaching the minimum number of pipers for Medley’s.
The Band of the Day will be judged by an independent panel on the following criteria:
- Choice of music
- Sound ensemble
This can be awarded to any grade band and bands will be automatically entered in this competition.
If you are interested in competing in a Mace Flourishing competition please email email@example.com by the 18th October, if there is enough interest the committee will consider running this competition.
- The Band competitions will follow the solos. There will be a March Past in conjunction with the Welcoming Ceremony, so bands all need to at the Grounds at approximately 10.45 when Solos finish. We may run the Juvenile prior to March Past (this may change depending on entries and timing).
- All bands are expected to take part in a March Past for the Welcoming Ceremony to celebrate the 10 Year Birthday. This will be an amazing way to celebrate the bands at the event in front of a large crowd. The bands will exit the arena once they have played so not expected to stand for whole ceremony.
- There will be no Massed Bands or March Past at the end of the day.
- Only those Bands that take part in the March Past will be eligible for the competition prize money.
- Bands Tunes for March Past will be advised – but will probably be Scotland the Brave, Green Hills, and maybe Amazing Grace.
- Band Presentation will in the Circle at the conclusion of the Band Competitions. We will also announce Solo Winners.
- All band members will be issued wristbands as tickets, these must be worn to gain admittance. There will be a competitor entry gate open from 8.00am–11.00am which is closer to the competition area. Supporters accessing this gate must have a ticket as there will be no ticket sales at this entry point.
2020 Entry Fees:
- Grade 1 – 4 $150.00
- Juvenile $50.00
|Prizes||Full Band Set||Juvenile||Band of the Day|
|1st||$200 per grade||Certificate||Hororata Highland Games Trophy|
ENTRIES OPEN 1st September 2020
Entries close 18th October 2020
To enter complete the online entry form, one form per competitor.
This year we will change how we collect competitor entry fees. Invoices will be issued for payment in mid October. Please where possible make payment by internet banking (see account details on form).
All competitors will be issued a competitor pass, and everyone will need these to enter the event, regardless of age.
Your supporters will need to purchase their tickets either prior to the event or on the day.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER
This event runs wet or fine. We have wet weather contingencies.
Order of events will be emailed to competitors following the closing date and published on this website. Follow us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all entry information.
All competitors will receive a competitors pass to the event. Remember to purchase your discounted supporters tickets!
Your supporters can purchase tickets online