Tug O’ War is an age old tradition at any Highland Games and has become a major crowd pleaser at the Hororata Highland Games. The Southfuels Tug O’ War sees an intense battle of strength, teamwork and sheer willpower play out. Teams of ten compete throughout the day in heats, working towards reaching the final TUG! The crowd passionately and loudly supports each team as they work to pull the opposing team across the line.
Why should you enter this event?
- A great team event for work mates, sports teams or just a group of friends.
- Experience a range of other Scottish events and festivities.
- Loads of atmosphere and an excellent post event function.
- Unique winners medals and good prize money up for grabs.
- Challenge someone to a tug off!
The Southfuels Tug O’ War is one of the participation events of the Games and will follow traditional Scottish rules. Click here to download full rules.
- Teams of eight plus two reserves
- Senior Trophy (mens) – heavyweight, 800kg weight restriction per 8 men
- Senior Mixed – No weight limit. Team to consist of a minimum of four female pullers
Southfuels Tug O’ War heat commencement times will be sent out to all entrants before the Games, along with a copy of the programme. However, it is estimated the competition will commence approximately 10.00am, with a break for the Welcoming Ceremony at 12 noon, and the finals will commence at 3.00pm. The order of the Tug O’ War competition is as follows:
- Heats (commencement times to be advised based on entries)
- Knock out matches (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
- Trophy final followed by Mixed final (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
Note: If a member of your team is not able to compete at the scheduled time, a reserve must be used, so as not to hold up the heats.
Teams will have an area where they can set up a gazebo to store gear for the day.
- All Senior Grade Teams: $200.00
- Includes gate entry for 10 people
- Note: Entry is on first in basis as limited number of teams can be accepted
|Grades||1st Place||2nd Place|
|Trophy||The coveted Hororata Highland Games trophy, individual gold medals, $500 worth of Z Cards, donated by Southfuels, a $150 Robbies Bar Tab (to use at the event in the Robbies bar by 5pm) and $350.00 CASH.||Silver Medals|
|Mixed||Individual gold medals, $500 worth of Z Cards, donated by Southfuels, a $150 Robbies Bar Tab (to use at the event in the Robbies bar by 5pm) and $350.00 CASH.||Silver Medals|
Entries open NOW until 12pm Wednesday 6th November
To enter complete the online entry form, one form per competitor. Please where possible make payment by internet banking (see account details on form). All competitors will be issued tickets and you will need these to enter the event. Your supporters will need to purchase their tickets either prior to the event or on the day.
Late entries may be accepted if the category is not full.
This event runs wet or fine. We have wet weather contingencies.
Competition details will be emailed to competitors following the closing date. Follow us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all entry information.
All competitors will receive a ticket to the event. Remember to purchase your discounted supporters tickets!
Your supporters can purchase tickets online or at the Selwyn Libraries or Hororata Motors. Save 35% if purchase before 21st October 2019.