Tug O’ War is an age old tradition at any Highland Games and has become a major crowd pleaser at the Hororata Highland Games. The Southfuels Tug O’ War sees an intense battle of strength, teamwork and sheer willpower play out. Teams of ten compete throughout the day in heats, working towards reaching the final TUG! The crowd passionately and loudly supports each team as they work to pull the opposing team across the line.
Why should you enter this event?
- A great team event for work mates, sports teams or just a group of friends.
- Experience a range of other Scottish events and festivities.
- Loads of atmosphere and an excellent post-event function.
- Unique winners medals and good prize money up for grabs.
- Challenge someone to a tug off!
Southfuels has just given away its millionth dollar with the Fuel for Schools programme!
To celebrate they have sponsored the new School Tug O’ War competition at the Hororata Highland Games with $1500.00 in prizes to be won.
The Southfuels Tug O’ War is one of the participation events of the Games and will follow traditional Scottish rules. Click here to download full rules.
- Senior Trophy (mens) – heavyweight, 800kg weight restriction per 8 men. Teams of eight plus two reserves
- Senior Mixed – No weight limit. Team to consist of a minimum of four female pullers. Teams of eight plus two reserves
- Primary School – Team of 6 (8 – 14yrs), at least 2 girls must be in the team. At least 2 pullers must be under 10yrs. Must have an adult manager.
- Secondary School – Teams of 6 (15 – 18 years, must be at school) must include 2 girls.
The Southfuels order for the Tug O’ War competition is as follows, note these times are subject to change depending on entries:
- 10.00am MIXED competition heats. Knock out matches (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
- 12.15pm MIXED FINAL $1000 prize pool package (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
- 12.30pm Kids/School competition Medals
- 2.00pm SENIOR MENS competition heats. Knock out matches (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
- 3.30pm SENIOR MENS FINAL $1000 prize pool package (best 2 out of 3 pulls)
Note: If a member of your team is not able to compete at the scheduled time, a reserve must be used, so as not to hold up the heats.
Teams will have an area where they can set up a gazebo to store gear for the day.
- All Senior Grade Teams: $200.00 (Includes gate entry for 10 people)
- Kids/School Teams : $30 (Includes 1 x Managers entry pass)
- Note: Entry is on first in basis as a limited number of teams can be accepted
|Grades||1st Place||2nd Place|
|Trophy||The coveted Hororata Highland Games trophy, individual gold medals, $500 worth of Z Cards, donated by Southfuels, a $150 event Bar Tab (to use at the event’s bar by 5pm) and $350.00 CASH.||Silver Medals|
|Mixed||Individual gold medals, $500 worth of Z Cards, donated by Southfuels, a $150 event Bar Tab (to use at the event’s bar by 5pm) and $350.00 CASH.||Silver Medals|
|School Teams||Two divisions – Primary and Secondary with the following prizes for each:
Individual gold medals, Southfuels prize packs for each team member
$500 Fuel for School package
$250 Fuel for School package
Entries open 1st September 2020 until 12pm Wednesday 4th November
To enter complete the online entry form, one form per competitor. Please where possible make payment by internet banking (see account details on form). All competitors will be issued passes, and you will need these to enter the event. Your supporters will need to purchase their tickets either prior to the event or on the day.
Late entries may be accepted if the category is not full.
This event runs wet or fine. We have wet weather contingencies.
Competition details will be emailed to competitors following the closing date. Follow us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all entry information.
All competitors will receive a pass to the event. Remember to purchase your discounted supporters tickets!
Your supporters can purchase tickets online